16 March 2009

Never Say Never

So after a long day (and a cancelled flight for the day), I decided to grab dinner at our local dining facility. Our dining facility isn't exactly the best--the closest thing nearby is a little shack where you open up a food container (mermite) and scoop the food onto a paper plate. Which, of course, gets old day after day after day. So those stories you hear of massive dining facilities where Kellogg, Brown and Root charge $32 a plate for a meal don't apply here.

With that said, I look at today's menu and notice that it's spaghetti day. I love spaghetti. And when it's made with actual meat sauce, that makes it that much better. Now, it would be entirely like the Army to find a way to mess up this simple, functionally elegant meal, but given the fact that it is spaghetti, you'd actually have to actively try to mess up a meal like this.

I open the first mermite container and there, just like you'd expect, are the noodles. I heap a massive portion of noodles onto my plate.

Next, of course, is the sauce. I get to the next mermite container.

They're out of spaghetti sauce.

HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS SPENT IN THIS WAR AND I CAN'T GET SPAGHETTI SAUCE?! WTF!!

So yes, amazingly, the Army found a way to mess up even spaghetti. Off to enjoy my dry noodles...

2 comments:

Boss Mongo said...

Dude, of course they were out of sauce. Perfect (Army) symmetry. Tomorrow I'm going to have a double scoop of mocajamocofudgestrip, just to commiserate.
Best,BM

Anonymous said...

sounds like the time I went to TGI Friday's and they were out of their signature "Jack Daniel's BBQ Sauce".

Trouble is, near everything on the menu comes with JD sauce. It made for an interesting visit.