25 March 2009

There's a drawback to witty t-shirts?



So it's no secret that everyone's favorite Army captain (me...by the way, check my narcissism post) is a fan of wearing witty t-shirts. I have a witty t-shirt for nearly all occasions, and they've played a huge role in my debaucherous episodes since back in Honduras when all the aviators drinking at the world-famous Lizard Lounge would compete to see who had the most obnoxious or witty t-shirts. When you have a t-shirt with "Leeroy Jenkins" on it, you tend to win, hands down. Some actually even provide a form of self-parody, to included the pictured t-shirt produced by the fine artists at xkcd.com, which states "Maybe if this t-shirt is witty enough, someone will finally love me".

While wearing a particularly infamous t-shirt based on a Dinosaur Comic, I met Sarah from Syracuse in Sackets Harbor, NY. Knowing my penchant for my attire of awesomeness, she sent me a link to a website which talks about some t-shirts being worn by the Israeli Defense Force. I got this link from her one day before it was posted on The Arabist and two days before it hit Abu Muqawama. Damn, I've really hit upon a good source for news articles.

Anyway, these t-shirts aren't officially being manufactured by the IDF, nor are they being sanctioned by the IDF, but it's still made the headlines due to the fact, yes, IDF soldiers have been seen wearing them and because they actually are quite graphic. For example, one of the t-shirts shows a set of cross-hairs lined up on a pregnant Palestinian woman, with the caption, "One shot, two kills".

In a globalized society, there's something to be said for the politically correct approach. I'm no prude when it comes to sick, twisted humor, to be certain. In fact, I used to laugh at the concept of political correctness. However, when we consider how quickly information is transferred in the modern world, and the critical importance of swaying the opinion of the 80% of people who, in any insurgency, remain neutral, it's critical that our "strategic fire"--information operations--accurately reflect what we want the world to see.

No comments: