21 August 2010

That's one way of looking at it

Recently, I started Michael Horowitz' book, "The Diffusion of Military Power:  Causes and Consequences for International Politics".  During a free moment, I pulled it out, highlighter in hand, and plowed through a few pages.

A sergeant took note.  "What are you reading, Sir?"

"Well, it's a book about military innovation.  It talks about spread of ideas throughout an organization".

"So, basically, you're trying to be the Good Idea Fairy?"

Well, that's one way of looking at it. 

I guess I should expect to see some enterprising warrant officer NOTAM out my desk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"These are not the ideas we are looking for"

Eric C said...

The military, from my second hand understanding of it, doesn't like ideas. Unlike places of great innovation like Silicon Valley--where giant personal productivity cultures have developed--the military, as evidenced by the cartoon, dislikes people who want to do things differently.

I'm ok with this, though. It's not like the US military is giant, unwieldy, unthinking bureaucracy dedicated to wasting money, using obsolete computer programs (powerpoint) and buying obsolete technologies it doesn't need. Why would the military need to change?

Sarcasm aside, the US military has fundamental flaws, and not adopting new ideas isn't going to help that.