21 October 2009

Social Media--Be Social, Be Smart. Above all, please be safe...

(H/T Pat O)

I really can't improve on this article from Noah Shachtman at Wired.com's Danger Room, so I'm going to pretty much quote it in full.

Not too long ago, the U.S. military was brain dead about social media — banning sites from their networks, and grounding troops for their postings. But things are changing, fast. Not only is the Pentagon poised to allow troops access to Web 2.0 sites, if a draft policy is approved. The Defense Department is also getting more clever about how it talks to its people about the sites. Gone, apparently, are the bad old days whenads like this one filled the military’s airwaves. Now, we’re seeing spots like the one below that are even kind of funny. Go figure.

Wired.com continues:

The only bad news? We all might be a little more bored at work, without our videos of snake-eating soldiers and ghost-riding G.I.s.


Wait, "Ghost Riding" troops? Yes, thanks to Wired.com's Danger Room, I've actually discovered something on Youtube that I'd never seen before. (Those of you that know me will find this shocking, I know).

Warning: While I find this absolutely hilarious on one hand, I have to caveat this by saying that this is by far the quickest way to remove one's self from the gene pool. You can read up on the trend here. Anyway, without further ado, here's the "Ghost Riding" video.

Seriously, never fucking do this:


That video kind of reminds me of the dumbasses that did this: (full version of this video can be found here)

2 comments:

SJ said...

I used to hate those cheesy AFN commercials when I'd watch AFKN in Korea. At they were shorter than real commercial breaks in the US. Glad to see they finally figured out how to write better commercials.

J. said...

Oh.. my... gawd. I had no idea - "ghost riding" military vehicles. What a bad idea.

Back in late 1990 (Saudi Arabia), there was a crew of chemical soldiers who decided to play Rat Patrol in their brand-new, limited-edition German Fuchs NBC vehicle. The landing blew out the tires, and because they were German tires, caused the vehicle to be out of commission for some time.

The crew was demoted and sent home.