21 January 2011

The gauntlet has been thrown

Floating Clausewitz head
will be drinking with me
in spirit tonight.  
Tom Ricks and the gang at the Warlord Loop have challenged the blogosphere for a list of the best national security quotations.  Unfortunately, it looks as if most are gleaning quotations from the usual sources:  Mao Tse-Tung, Eisenhower, Sun-Tzu, Napoleon, and the like.  

I think I can one-up the great captains of history and devise some national security quotations of my own making, which I will post to Twitter as I imbibe alcohol tonight.  

Look for the #nsqs (national security quotations) hashtag on Twitter.  I'll have the ghosts of Clausewitz and Moltke the Elder in stitches by the nights end.  No small feat, too, as I bet those Prussians can really pound some fermented beverages.  And even if I don't out-quote Bonaparte, at least you'll be amused, right?

2 comments:

Josh Kennedy said...

"If we can do full-scale combat operations, we can put down this counter-insurgency. Just a matter of scaling down."
-- Some naive General officer

GrEaT sAtAn'S gIrLfRiEnD said...

"When in doubt - knock 'em out" probably best for preventive/pre emption praise