08 January 2010

A Question of Command--additional review from Dr. David Ucko

Dr. David Ucko, author of The New Counterinsurgency Era: Preparing the US Military for Modern Wars, has penned a review of Mark Moyar's latest book, A Question of Command: Counterinsurgency Leadership from the Civil War to Iraq. It will appear in an upcoming issue of the Journal of Military History, but you can read the review in full at his blog.

I started reading A Question of Command, but I simply couldn't finish it. If you're curious as to why this is, just read my initial thoughts on the book here. I appreciate that Mr. Moyar is looking at the vital subject of leadership in wartime, but I think it could have been done a bit better. Apparently, there are a few more that agree (SWJ, Kings of War, and Dr. Ucko).

As an added note, I'd like to thank Dr. Ucko for dropping by this blog earlier this week. I have to admit that I have his book, but unfortunately, it's still in the shipping container that just arrived from Iraq. I'll be sure to get on it!

2 comments:

David Ucko said...

Thanks for the link and keep up the great work on the blog. I pass by quite often, though last week was the first time I commented.

David Ucko said...

Oh and you may also be interested in Thomas Rid's review of the same book here: http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=wq.essay&essay_id=554062