05 May 2010

They blocked Kings of War? You bastards!

Yes, much to my chagrin, I noticed that Big Brother has recently blocked access to Kings of War, a blog run by the War Studies Department of Kings' College in London.

As most of you are aware, KoW's regular authors include noted writers such as Thomas Rid (author of War 2.0: Irregular War in the Information Age), Dr. David Ucko (The New Counterinsurgency Era), Dr. Kenneth Payne, Dr. David Betz, and many others. The blog regularly features articles on strategy, counterinsurgency theory, defence policy, and the future of Great Britain's military. Without a doubt, it's one of the best milblogs for scholarly research--filled with all that great strategic theory and counterinsurgency doctrine that...we...ban...or something.

Truth be told, I don't know exactly what got them blacklisted. In fact, I can actually access far more risque sites at work--just check out the screenshot below. Note that I have tabs open for Small Wars Journal, Kings of War, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, and the Great Satan's Girlfriend. Only one of them is blocked (Kings of War), yet Youtube has videos of dancing stormtroopers and Great Satan's Girlfriend has pictures of two girls...erm...yeah.



Seriously, WTF? Fortunately, I can read KoW through my Google Reader feed. Hooray for bypassing asinine IT policies!

Focus: Are there any other bizarre website bans you've encountered recently on your workplace firewall?

Edit: KoW Reacts...

2 comments:

SAF said...

Good lord, I noticed in the image that you were using IE. Don't tell me that Firefox/Chrome are blacklisted too!

Starbuck said...

Yes, they are.

War is hell.