25 July 2010

Links of the Week

Not much to report.  Although there were a few outdoor festivals throughout Germany this weekend, I decided to stay inside, on account of the weather.  Lucky I did.

Anyway, since I'm still living in an empty apartment and surfing the Internet from the bowling alley, I'm a little behind in my blogging.  Fortunately, I've filled my time reading Thomas Rid's excellent essay compilation.

Unfortunately, it's been a bad week in Afghanistan.  Take a look at the roll-up:


  • DUSTWUN:  ISAF confirms two US Navy personnel missing in Afghanistan.  
  • Two killed in a US military helicopter crash in Helmand province.  Names have yet to be released.
  • Richard Haas, president of the Council on Foreign Relations, isn't particularly optimistic on our prospects.
  • That upcoming Kandahar offensive?  Scrapped.  Gen. Petraeus is emphasizing efforts at building local security and popular support
There's also been some great discussion on the state of counterinsurgency theory--and its shortcomings in Afghanistan--from some very prominent thinkers.


  • Kings of War's Dr. David Ucko
  • Conn Hallinan on the "myth" of counterinsurgency  
  • Dr. Tony Corn on saving the "COIN Baby" from the "COIN Bathwater"
And finally, just when I think my life can't get any worse, someone actually posts a glowing review of Mark Moyar's latest book at Small Wars Journal.  Fuck.  My.  Life

No comments: